The drill press can be considered an evolution of both the hand drill and the electric drill. It adapts to the machines used to drill metal and other materials similar to a hand drill.
These machines are available in all professional workshops and DIY enthusiasts’ toolboxes due to their power and versatility. Drill presses are accurate tools conceived to perform demanding and expert tasks. They have gradually expanded from professional workshops to households, possibly due to their affordability.
In this review, we’ll cover the key points to consider if you’re planning to buy one or more drill presses. We will also introduce the 20 best drill presses for metal on the market, based on tests and consumer reviews.
Below is our top 20 drill press for metal, hand-picked by our experts:
Skil 3320-01 Drill Press
|Amount of speed:||5|
|Speed range:||570 3050 rpm|
|Table size:||7-5 / 7.87 inch|
|Tilting work table:||0-45 degrees|
- Reasonable Price
- Better tilt knob and locking mechanism
- Effortless to build and pick
- Accurate working surface
- X2 2-beam laser
- The integrated depth stop is not stable.
Skil 3320-01 heads up with a heavy-duty tabletop drill for both wood and metal manufactured by Skil. When including all products in one, we have plenty of extra value. But from the brilliant features, you could consider it unique for pros, but good enough for novices too.
This starter system for your workshop provides minimal weight but is not loose. Even carrying simple options becomes a fantastic thing. In addition, to transporting more workbenches, a terrific storage alternative makes it more economical than comparable patent models. Its stunning metallic construction, its excellent fit, in addition to its smooth design, create it a simple assembly. In order to guarantee the accuracy, locate the lock and tilt the wooden or a metal bit.
Jet J-2500 Metal Drill
|Weight :||167 pounds|
|Rate range:||200 to 3,630 pm|
|Amount of speed:||16.|
- Durable cast iron table and head
- A precise depth stop mechanism
- Large tilting capacity
- Ability to reach the depth
- Permanently lubricated spindle belt.
- No lights or laser guides on board
Jet J-2500 is heavy enough to carry but has a powerful rate range and 16 variable speeds. This machine has different drilling capabilities through cast iron and one cm via steel. A 75 HP motor leaves each hole, creating opportunities with precision in one step.
WEN 4214 Drill Press
|Spindle stroke:||3-1 / 7.8 inch|
|Speed Range:||580-3200 rpm.|
- Powerful motor 5 A 2/3 HP.
- Variable speed of 580-3,200 RPMs offers great flexibility when working with different types of materials.
- Exceptional alloy construction, a durable drill press.
- Tilting 45 degrees in the right or left direction for angled drills.
- A large, stable base that can be bolted into a workbench.
- X-Pattern laser for much more accuracy.
- Will have trouble drilling through thick alloy, especially steel
Although the electric cable connection may restrict the appropriate freedom, an ideal tilting range and rate range distinguish WEN 4214 from the regular audience.
Compatibility with wood and metal drilling, despite variable rates, is a breeze. On the other hand, the available rate facility allows potential customers to drill in the target zone within a specific RPM.
Unlike other versions, an individual can appreciate the low light requirements drilled from the LED readout monitor and a kind of pleasant onboard work lighting.
Jet JDP-17 Drill Press
|Table size:||14-inch x 18 inch|
- Large precision worktable with double T-slot and 4 table slots to fit any job.
- Built-in depth stop makes repeated drilling quick and easy.
- One-handed belt tension allows for speed changes.
- The Xacta-X laser system identifies the center of the drill bit.
- Integrated, durable LED work light reduces shadows
- Table edge is designed for easy clamping
- Replaceable MDF table insert
- The broadcast iron base provides stability
- Powered by an efficient 1.0 kW TEFC motor and poly belt drive system.
- Fairly heavy
- Significantly higher cost compared to other models
JDP-17 is as much as possible compatible with heavy-duty tasks. Jet makes things very professional, not with compromised substance attributes.
On the other hand, the machine is a single-aisle poly V-belt, participating with a robust cast iron spirit. It provides extreme durability while driving more with comparable substances.
In addition, the inclusion of a nighttime LED light, like a construction safety vest, reduces darkness.
Genesis GDP1005A Floor Drill for Metal
- Strong machine
- Soft work lighting
- Quiet, adaptive performance at a 0-45 tilt angle;
- The workbench is unstable.
- Slack in the nib produces unequal holes.
- Excessive shake and vibrations.
Having a 5-speed gearbox, the Genesis GDP1005A is of incredible value. This mid-sized drill press for metal and woodworking features a durable and long-lasting 4.1AMP motor that never vibrates or creates noise pollution.
Would you like to reduce it to your height to stop backaches? With quiet operating performance, you’ll find the modification offer. A convenient ⅝-inch chuck will run with oversized drill bits. There is no need to wait in low-light conditions. Its onboard lighting is always ready to illuminate your work table and a little too.
JDP-20MF Floor Standing Drill Press for Metal
|Speed setting:||150-4200 rpm|
|Table size (inch x diameter):||18-5/8 x 16-1/8|
- Better ball bearings
- Flexible spring to get the stress pin
- Robust gear table
- Safety measure automotive cap
- Quick modification of motor and spindle
- It is heavy
JDP-20MF is a great drill press for both wood and metal. But in addition, from the medium size to the enormous capacity of drilling materials. It is a heavy machine, visible outside its band and weighing about 268 pounds.
Everything on the layout is simple for quick adjustment. An articulated alloy belt and a drill chuck mounted in the motor allow such fast changes depending on the speed of the spindles. The combined tilt allows for a 45-degree rotation.
A workbench is sufficiently extendable with a crank. Either if you wish, open the straps. Ensure that the auto-darkening switch on the front creates a positive outer depth stop.
Dewalt DWE1622K Magnetic Drill
|Load speed step:||300/450 rpm|
- 4-inch spindle travel capability for heavy items
- Simple to view depths
- Height change table
- 2-speed settings
- Electronic overload protection.
- Not enough for thick objects
- Shakes heavily
Are you for a Life motor inserted directly into a drill press for metal?
Dewalt DWE1622K Magnetic 2-speed motor shifting rounds out this machine by utilizing built-in bit storage plus a 1 cm thread.
Want a tool-less handle reversal? Its quick-release power supply will do it. Another cooler, a kind of magnetic self-feed, allows potential customers to control the cooler or replace the tank on either side. Means to deliver optimal performance in a wide range of applications, except heavy drilling.
NOVA Voyager 58000 DVR Drill Press
|Variable speed:||50-5500 rpm|
|Chuck size:||5/8 inches|
- The speed control is not through belts. Instead, the machine uses buttons and screens to adjust its speed.
- Excellent software, which you can control using the digital display and buttons.
- It’s a precise drill press.
- It is heavy
The variable speed settings allow you to adjust the speed of your NOVA 58000 Voyager DVR drill presses from 50 to 3,000 rpm. You can also increase it up to 5,500 rpm. This machine has a powerful motor with a 1.75/2 HP. The material you are working with will determine the speed.
This drill was originally designed for floors and woodworking, but it can also perform other tasks with most materials. It can be used on both metal and plastic due to its precision.
Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating Press
|Variable speed:||250-3,050 rpm|
|Chuck size:||1/163 cm|
- For even more perfect holes, allow oscillating movements
- It is ideal for floor work.
- It can be used for sanding
- Includes a set of sanding drums
- Two-year warranty
- It’s lightweight
- Low power motors
Shop Fox W1848 Oscillating drill press is the best value. It is ideal for woodworking and flooring. This press is suitable as a sander or for drilling perfect holes thanks to its oscillating function. This floor drill press has a smaller motor, but it’s still a high-quality product.
As the name suggests, the Shop Fox W1848 drill press oscillates. It can also swivel and make back and forth movements. These features can be used to make your work easier and more precise.
Delta 18-900L Laser Drill Press
|Power output:||0.75 horsepower|
|Speed:||16 rates (170-3000 rpm)|
|Swing Size:||18 inch|
- Self-tensioning belt thrust for fast speed varies
- Up to 16 separate rates from 170 to 3000 rpm
- It contains two lasers to achieve high precision drilling
- Provides a 5-inch stroke plus an 11-inch swing
- It comes with a 5-year warranty from Delta
- The motor may be more powerful.
The Delta 18-900L is the best floor drill model for metal and hardwood applications for various reasons.
It includes everything you need in a great drill press, from its 16-speed configurations to its dual laser guidance system, lighting, and a powerful motor.
The 18-900L produces 0.75 horsepower, generating speeds from 700 to 3000 rpm. You’ll find 16-speed settings, and you can change them by simply modifying the belt drive that uses a self-tensioning platform to keep things simple.
You also get an extremely accurate thickness stop system and a large worktable that tilts up to 90 degrees and forward up to 48 levels. Delta backs this stand with a 5-year warranty.
Powermatic PM2800B Drill Press
|Swing Size:||18 inch|
- Features a variable rate mechanism
- Powered by a 1.0 HP motor
- Spindle travel is 6 inches with a single stroke
- Includes a thickness stop with a laser manual
- It comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty
- The variable rate mechanism does not optimize torque
The Powermatic PM2800B is a premium drill press engineered to perform efficiently and effectively in all aspects of a drill press.
The PM2800B starts by using a variable rate mechanism, which allows you to select your preferred speed without touching the straps. Plus, it has an electronic speed display, which means you can tell what’s going on.
You get an adjustable depth stop and a laser manual for high-precision drilling. Plus, there are two separate, fully adjustable LED work lights to illuminate the dining table without shadows, the worktable can rotate about 90 degrees.
You get a massive cast iron base for stability and a safety key, which prevents accidental starting of the gear. However, there is a cost to this particular system with its changeable mechanical rates keeping the torque constant at all speeds.
Rockwell RK7033 Shop Collection Drill Press
|Power:||6.2-amp motor (approx. 0.5 horsepower)|
|Speed:||5 speeds up to 3100 rpm|
|Swing Size:||10 inch|
- 5 speeds around 3100 rpm.
- Durable cast iron cutting table
- Chuck is a 1/5 cm for wood and metalwork
- Offered at an affordable cost
- It comes with a 2-year limited warranty
- Power is rather low
- There are no lasers and running lights
If you want the best drill press for the cost or just the cheapest drill press you can get your hands on, this Rockwell RK7033 will catch your eye.
It is given at the lowest possible cost to get a drill press, with impressive features, such as its 5-speed adjustment platform to select between 620 and 3100 rpm.
The dining table is cast iron and tilts up to 45 degrees to drill angled holes. You get a 2-year limited warranty on the stand, all in a budget-friendly package that’s hard to resist.
Klutch Drill Press
|Swing Size:||13 inch|
- Powered by a 0.7 HP motor
- Provides approximately 3410 rpm in 16-speed settings
- Provides a 13-inch benchtop drill press
- Includes an onboard crank neck light for illumination
- No Laser Manual included
This Klutch drill press is a compromise between a high-quality press and a cheap press. You get all the features of a professional drill press at an affordable price.
It is powered by a 0.7 horsepower motor and has 16-speed configurations, which produce about 3410 rpm. You also get a thickness lock mechanism to drill accurate holes with an onboard light.
The bench is large with its 12-inch diameter, plus the press includes a 13-inch swing. This floor press is simple, right on stage, and the cost is perfect.
Bosch PBD 40 Drill Press
- Versatile drill press
- Drilling assistance through laser tracing
- Digital display
- Long display time of the depth stop
The Bosch drill press combines power and precision. With its 710W powerful motor, the drill can effortlessly work on various materials to a maximum depth of 13mm in steel and 40mm. Its automatic chuck makes it easy to change accessories.
For maximum precision, it features a digital display indicating precise drilling depths.
It also has a laser sight for accurate drilling. A LED light illuminates the work area for ultra-precise drilling. Also, for precision, the tool includes a parallel stop and a chuck for positioning the drill piece. The rotation speed is adjustable according to requirements.
This drill press uses a soft-grip hand wheel for comfortable operation
Shop Fox W1670 Floor Standing Drill Press
|Power:||1/2 HP, 110V, 5A|
- 90-degree head tilt function
- One of the highest horsepower models
- It is durable
- takes up a lot of space
The Shop Fox W1670 HP floor model is one of the most powerful drills on the market. This model is ideal for the occasional drill press user, as it has 5 speeds that can drill through various materials.
The 110-volt motor gives it plenty of power. Also, it features a power model like the 90degree tilt of the rotating head.
This model has cast iron, which makes it very durable. This model is resistant to moisture, dust, and other environmental factors.
RIKON 30-140 Bench Top Radial Drill Press
- It’s durable
- 5-year limited warranty
- There are no radial head bearings for smooth adjusting.
The RIKON 30-140 Radial Bench Top Drill, a powerful drill press model, is an excellent choice. It has five adjustable speeds which, allow it to take on any material without damaging the drill press.
This drill press is much smaller than other floor models.
This model also has an adjustable table height. Users can adjust the depth by turning a handle to find the most comfortable position for drilling.
It features standard spindle tapers, which allow you to change between chuck shafts and cutters.
JET 354165 JDP-15M Drill Press
|Chuck Size:||16 Millimeters|
- The JET 354165 drill press is stable and easy to use.
- The size of this thing is medium, and it gives you plenty of room to do your work on the work table.
- You have a choice of 16 speeds, the lowest at 200 rpm.
- Light is available onboard for dark or dimly lit situations.
- The spindle is adjustable to your drilling preferences.
- This 4-foot drill press can feel a little taller than standard.
- This tabletop drill may cause some vibration.
The JET 354165 can meet all of your needs by offering the versatility and flexibility of the JDP-15M 38cm bench-mounted drill press.
This drill press is ideal for small projects and home improvements. You can drill efficiently with its quick-release and turntable adjustment features.
This machine can help you with small drilling jobs such as shaping, routing, plating, and mortising.
Grizzly G7945 Benchtop Drill Press
|Speed:||5 /550–3000 RPM|
- You can choose from 5 speeds.
- This item is ideal for small to medium-sized workstations.
- The shaft can be used as a pin to assemble the assembly.
- It requires extra space to work better
It is a 5-speed tabletop radial drill. With its swivel heads, it can operate at any angle. The chuck size is 159 inches long. During drilling, it supports a maximum length of 122 inches.
Drilling is easy with the Grizzly G7945. The Grizzly G7945 Benchtop can handle all your heavy-duty sanding needs. In seconds, it can go from a drill to a sander.
JET J-2530 Bench Model Drill Press
|Variable Speed:||16/3630 RPM|
- 16 speeds are great for drilling a variety of objects.
- The pen stroke is deep and allows you to pierce deeper holes.
- The 200-rpm drilling speed makes it easy to driller metal without generating heat.
- The column supports both the drill press and the tabletop well.
- It does not include a work light for drilling in low-light environments.
The large quill on the spindle can be visible if we go deeper. This quill allows the spindle to travel far and get deep into the hole.
The cast heads swivel for a better finish. The spindle measures 5/20 cm in diameter, making it easy to install most drills.
The JET J-2530 Bench Model Drill Press has16 speeds available, the lowest is 200 and the highest 3630, and they are easy to shift through.
You can angle the workbench 45 degrees to the left and right making, drilling much easy.
Small Benchtop Drill Press | DRL-300.00
|Speed range:||8 500 rpm|
|Dimensions:||10 x 12 x 8 inches|
- Economical in terms of space and money.
- Enables versatility with adjustable headroom and efficient motor
- The assembly process is simple, and the instructions are easy to follow.
- Easy and portable to operate.
- Unsuitable for heavy tasks.
Want a reliable, but not far from this anticipation? Euro Tool gives priority to your concerns. The small benchtop drill press for metal or wood will meet your expectations as much as possible.
Very perfect for drilling work at home. From our experience, neither the dimension is small nor dull. We get one with plenty of helpful features in small size.
On the other hand, the motor will never hinder the electricity coming from every space created. It is even very convenient, whether you are shopping in a house or a corner of a store or carrying it to some distance. In addition, it provides a wide speed ranging beyond this dimension anticipation.
The Criteria to choose a Drill Press
There are a variety of drill presses available at all prices, from famous to lesser-known brands. Some elements can make a difference depending on your needs and your budget. Here are some tips on how to choose your drill press.
The power of the drill press will determine its efficiency. The more powerful the tool, the deeper the hole you can drill and the easier it is, especially in hard materials. If the drill does not have to work too hard, its motor will be less stressed, and its life will be longer.
Variable Speed Control
The speed of the drill (rpm) allows you to adapt the speed of rotation to all types of materials and drilling. It is sometimes necessary to start with a low rotational to increase accuracy.
The Possible Drilling Depths
It depends on 2 factors:
• The altitude between the chuck and the spindle
• The distance between the spindle and the pillar.
Drilling Depth Setting
This option allows you to preset the depth of a hole without drilling the whole part. The adjustment can be manual or digital depending on the drill.
The availability of a vise
Its presence is recommendable to block the parts to drill. Sometimes there can be just a parallel stop to keep the piece straight.
A LED light can be present on some models. It allows illuminating the drilling area often obscured by the drill.
Its presence allows refining the precision at the beginning of the drilling.